8/09/2010

My Pattern For Gaucho Coucho - Use At Own Risk

This is mostly recovering all the previous posts.  However, I wanted to try to give a simple pattern to use.  On the forums, people are always asking for one... including me.  I hope this makes sense and helps people.

1.  Gather all the fabric you have cut out for the cushions.


2.  Take the top & largest piece of fabric and measure 21.5 inches and mark a line all the way across the width on the back.  Turn the fabric around and mark a line across the fabric at 15 inches.  This will be where the sides will be sewn down to the tops in the back.   Put aside for now (I like to get the measuring parts finished before starting the sewing).

3.  Sew the zipper on the the fabric.


The back side after the zipper had been sewn completely in.  My method for zipper sewing may not be correct... you may want to research proper technique.
If you are like me and cut extra fabric for safety sake, now you will need to cut to the correct size.

4.  Sew the side pieces together.
5.  Take the fabric for the bottom of the cushion and sew the sides onto it.  I positioned my zippers so that it curved around the from the side to the back.  I felt it would be easier for me to get the cover's on and off for washing.
This creates a box.  I also added an extra seam using the methods shown here for extra strength.  It also helps give the box shape.  If using this method it requires mitering the corners.
6.  Repeat step 5 for all three cushions.
7.  Take your top piece of fabric.  Time to sew the largest box onto the fabric.  I started with the back (zipper side) down by aligning the fabric edge to the lines I marked onto the fabric using a 1/2 inch seam allowance.

 Unless you want to rip out seams, make sure you align the correct box to the correct line.  Seam ripping is a tedious job.

8.  Then I unzipped the zipper and sewed the front and side seams together.  (This requires some thought and some fabric manipulation.  I turned it inside out at one point.)  I sewed the front on first then the sides, always moving from the front to back.  That way you can hide or fudge any mistakes if needed.
9.  Repeat with the other box.
10.  For the bolster, turn inside out and sew on the last piece of fabric.  

I highly recommend dry fitting your cover as you progress.  It will point out any problem areas before you get to the end.  This can prevent you from finishing the project then finding you need to rip out everything or worse having to start completely over because of one small, easily fixable error in one stage.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Delete this element to display blogger navbar