12/14/2010

Trip Bathing Day....Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Today was the day. The big day, the one I have been wishing wouldn't come or someone else would magically do for me..... dog washing day. It's not that it's terribly hard, as a matter of fact the hardest part is getting them into the tub.


Sasha the Heeler, after trying to slink off into nothingness, goes completely stiff. She will NOT get into that mean old tub. I have to lift 55 lbs of dog that is somehow half stiff, half scrambling, yet all wiggly. Then she stands there, toe nails extended as if she's is trying to dig into the fiberglass. The look in her eyes as she gazes at fear upon my face brings this Star Wars quote to mind, "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, your my only hope." When she's done, she places front paws out of the tub and slides on her belly over the side.

Then we have Drake the Dane. Have I mentioned he had a slightly traumatic experience with a squeaky toy, salt, and the tub spigot? Needless to say, he wasn't ready to get back in the tub. Keep in mind there is absolutely no way you can force a dog of 145lbs to do anything. You have to convince him. After several abortive attempts to casually walk him into the tub, that went like this:
  1. Into the bathroom
  2. Stop in front of the tub
  3. out of the bathroom
  4. Into the bathroom
  5. lift a paw in front of tub
  6. put down paw
  7. turn around
  8. out of the bathroom
  9. into the bathroom
  10. place one paw into the tub
  11. remove one paw
  12. turn around
  13. out of the bathroom
  14. into the bathroom
Then I got smart and placed a folded towel in the tub. After which:
  1. he walked into the bathroom
  2. stepped into the tub
  3. sat down
By the way, anyone ever try to convince a Dane to stand up or at the very least unfurl his tail from under his seated bottom so that you can wash it?

I always schedule baths for the morning because I know I am going to need a shower right after...yep, that's right. I look like a wet noodle by the time I am done and itchy from all the dog hair stuck to me. Not to mention I am fairly sure that I have more water on me than the dogs did the entire bath.

Now on to the rest of the day. Dog bed/blanket washing. Drake is more unhappy about this than he is the bath. How Dare I take his bed away? Where is a dog to sleep? REALLY! He's been doing the *guilt turns, trying to sneak into the dining room where the uncovered beds are hiding, getting in my face to tell me all is not right in his world...etc.

I think I just heard the dryer go off... peace may reign again.......


* Guilt turns - Every dog I've ever had turns exactly 3 times before going to bed. The guilt turns (directly dane related) are the same turns but more slowly and more times.... with the pre-requisite sighs at the 180 and 360 marks of each turn..

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Delete this element to display blogger navbar