2/20/2011

Mother F*D!@#S A/S Plumbing!!!

So yesterday, I set out to complete two very small tasks:
1.  Attach the cabinet holds to prevent the newly installed doors from opening during travel
2.  Fix the pipe in the rear that is notorious for leaking when stopped.

After spending all of 20 minutes doing task #1, I then set my sights on #2.  My game plan?  To file down the 40 year old, swollen copper to attach an new 3 inch piece to permanently fix issue.  For those of you who don't know, when we first bought Minerva, we quickly discovered that the P/O consistently neglected to winterize her, and we developed a few splits in the copper pipes, many of which were "fixed" with electrical tape.  Anyway, originally I had a split in the "easily accessible" area just behind the rear sink -- you know the one that requires you to drill out at least 75 rivets and disassemble half your your sink/vanity?  So, thinking that I really didn't want to do that much work at the time, I simply cut the 3 inches of effected pipe, and clamped on a flexible tube and went along with other stuff.  However, occasionally it leaks, especially when we first pressurize the lines, so it needed to be properly fixed.

So back to the story:  I'm filing the swollen copper, and it's just not cooperating, when I try and get it thin enough to fit in a joint, it cracks.  Then I decide that rather than sweating the joint like that, perhaps I'll do a flare connection, so I take a brass flare joint, file the hole larger to accommodate the slightly thicker pipe, and spend the next hour getting everything back together.  Happy with myself, I hook it up to the water hose......and see water spraying out everywhere!  Apparently, when I pulled up on the faucet to remove the flare connections up there, I pulled two joints out.

I think you all know what's next:


Needless to say, I wasn't happy -- better go grab the damn drill!  What I never understood is why the original A/S installers used so much copper back here, and why they did what they did in their routing.  But anyway, with it completely exposed, I basically added to new pieces of copper directly between the pieces that were pulled out, directly to the faucet (originally they went to this square bend, and then they heavily soldered them to a threaded piece -- it was a mess). 

Eventually, 4 hours after I stared, I finished up the 30 minute project!

1 comments:

My husband read this with me and commented: He got off cheap. :) If you visit our blog, you will see a page(s) on plumbing. Such is the story for a 1962 trailer! Thanks for posting. 62safariairstreamrenovation.blogspot

Post a Comment

Delete this element to display blogger navbar