10/12/2011

Stopping the Interior Rain (Crafting Post)

It's the cold's fault. How many of us really enjoy indoor rain showers? Particularly those that hit only you in the face in the middle of the night? We'd just gotten somewhere between 4-6 inches of snow while in a campground near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, we were all stuck in the trailer, and enduring night time temperatures that went into the teens when I noticed it. Lucky for me, we had just met another Airstreaming couple who had just finished restoring a 1960's Tradewind. I asked her about the condensation raining down on my face and she pointed out the vent covers she'd made.

Now I'm going to warn you. It is not my best sewing work but after 3 nights with a towels strung across the bed clothes pinned to the upper cabinets I didn't care. It was time to hit the fabric store (nirvanna after all these months) and get to work.

Remember the girl that had 4 sewing machines and an arsenal of tools. Well, this is all she has to work with now.

I chose denim again, for the washability, but put my foot down against blue. Between all the Gaucho conversion furniture we have enough of blue denim. I guess it's the quilter in me but I decided to use batting on the inside when Shawn mentioned that maybe the covers could also be used to insulate against extreme temperatures. Here we have the measureing/cutting/layering process.





I decided to sew it inside out so the batting was the first layer to sew through.
After turning it rightside out, I sewed all the way around the edges. Then I decided to play.

Now I'm a sucker for old sewing machines.... I have two treadles (in storage) and a featherweight. The downside is you need the old attachments for anything other than a straight stitch. No problem since I love the attachments, which is funny since I don't really have a use for most of them .... I don't sew clothes. Anyway, at one of the Escapee CoOp parks we had arrived just in time for the annual garage sale. The only items this one lady had to sale were the button hole attachments for the old sewing machines. She wanted $3.00 for each. I picked up one not knowing that it would become the perfect tool for making the holes for the vent cranks.

I have to warn that it was a bit of a chore to make the button holes but only because it was trying to sew thorough 2 layers of denim and 2 layers of batting. After a bit of battle, not to mention having to remove the entire attachment after every button hole, I was finally done.



I have to say that it was really ingenious what they could get these attachments to do. Anyway, here it one of the cover before I sewed the velcro onto the fabric, not the pretties of jobs but no more Interior Rain Showers.

3 comments:

Your approach to sewing is fantastic - If you weren't already married & I was considerably younger (Kim's not a sewing enthusiast) ...

Anyway, after a lot experimentation, I decided the best way to deal with everyone breathing inside an Airstream during cold weather is to partially open ONE of the roof-top vents.

Sure - you will lose heat but the vent does not need to be opened that much. I simply got tired of trying to subsequently trying to dry the place out.

Tom

You'd need to add another if statement along with the married and age.....she can't (and will admit it to anyone) cook, so unless you know how to and enjoy it, you'd be SOL!

Sadly.... he has a very good point. And technically it's not that I can't cook.... it's more like I don't do it well (inability to follow directions) and i'm a bit clumsy. So knives, open flames, and assorted spices later.... well, it's not pretty. (Except for my apple pie... but someone has to cut the apples up for me)

Post a Comment

Delete this element to display blogger navbar